Homemade & Healthy Dog Treats. Recipes That Will Have Your Dog “Sit”, “Roll-Over”, “Paw”, “Lay-Down” And Even Jumpin’ For Joy!
Health conscious paw parents give treats a serious and much-needed makeover.
When our furry companions deserve a treat we don’t just want to give them something that tastes delicious (or so we assume that it does) we want something equally beneficial to their health. They deserve something wholesome and tasty. As well as something that makes them feel extra special.
However, because we feed them so many treats it’s often most convenient to just go to the store and purchase a bag of seemingly healthy dog treats. After all, it’s just a ‘treat’ right? Unfortunately, many store-bought treats today are filled with artificial ingredients and harmful toxins that are not good for a dog’s well-being and increase chances of liver disease, arthritis, and even cancer. You can read more about the dog food industry loopholes here.
Good news is that we can go the extra mile for our fur-babies without too much extra effort. Healthy homemade dog treats are a fantastic way to reward your dog and their health at the same time. Purchasing healthier brands of dog snacks may seem too expensive to most people, but now there are so many recipes that we can comfortably delight in making at our leisure and in the comfort of our own kitchen! That way you know exactly what your dog is eating and you will feel at peace knowing you are improving their health. A healthy and happy dog means a happy owner! Or we like to say, ‘Happy Dog, Happy Life’.
If you want what is best for your dog, we have some fun and creative healthy homemade treat ideas for you to try at home. These recipes are easy and delicious!
What Are the Benefits of Homemade Dog Treats?
Before you get knee deep into baking, it is important to know why homemade dog treats are a healthier and more beneficial option for your dog. Not only is your pup receiving a treat with natural ingredients rather than artificial ones, you as the owner will have the satisfaction in knowing that you did the right thing by taking your dog’s health into your own hands.
- You get to control what goes into your dog’s snack recipe. Ensuring your furry friend is receiving nutritious and wholesome snacks. You can even tailor the dog treats to your pet’s specific taste preferences or dietary restrictions.
- Here is a list of ingredients each benefit pertaining to your dog.
- Prevents unhealthy additives from slipping through the cracks which most store-bought treats allow. Unfortunately, the great majority of commercial dog treats contain preservatives and artificial ingredients to extend shelf life and enhance colors and/or flavors. Some treats are also made from byproducts as opposed to wholesome and natural ingredients. Read here to learn more about the ingredients used in most commercial brands.
- It turns out to be a tasty alternative! Making them yourself is a tasty alternative from your dog’s usual bland dog biscuit. You can use a mix of ingredients to create an optimal choice for your dog’s particular health needs.
Doggy Approved Healthy Recipes:
Now its time to have some fun in the kitchen and make healthy snacks for your pup to enjoy; pick and choose which recipe fits your dog, or try them all: (Don’t forget to let us know which is your favorite, well, your dog’s favorite)
Leftovers Trail Mix
A money-saving alternative and prevents food waste! No need to run out to the grocery store, just open up your fridge and see what kind of left-over goodies you have inside. Combine together any of the following leftovers to create a flavorful trail mix for your dog:
- Pieces of meat (rinse off any flavoring or seasons)
- Potatoes, or sweet potatoes
- Veggies (avoid onions or choose from these following ingredient’s)
- Fruits (no grapes)
- Cut all the ingredients into ½ inch thick pieces.
- Lightly spray with some cooking spray.
- Place inside a food dehydrator OR an oven set too 200 degrees, and cook until dried.
An alternative to homemade can be found here. https://shop.waggles.com/collections/health-treats
Frozen Peanut Butter Yogurt Nibbles
The perfect doggie snack for a cool down and for the hot summer! With just two simple ingredients your dog will love this tasty snack.
- 32 ounces vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup of peanut butter
- Melt 1 cup peanut butter in the microwave
- Combine yogurt with the peanut butter in one bowl
- Pour mixture into cupcake papers
- Place in freezer for 12 hours
Homemade Dog Biscuits
For something a little more crunchy for your dog, try your hand at a traditional homemade dog biscuit. Avoid all of the additives from store-bought treats with this classic dog treat. This is an easy DIY recipe:
- 2 ½ cups of whole-wheat flour (or with rolled oats if your dog doesn’t digest whole wheat well)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 egg (place the entire egg into a blender and crush the shell; the shell holds essential nutrients for your dog) Read more here.
- 1 tsp. Beef or chicken Bouillon granules
- ½ cup of hot water
- Optional: You can add bacon or chicken broth for extra flavor.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Dissolve the bouillon in the hot water
- Add the remaining ingredients to the dissolved bouillon.
- Knead the dough until it forms a ball (can take 3 minutes)
- Roll the ball of dough so it is ¼ inch thick
- Use a cookie cutter or a knife to cut into cute shapes
- Place the dough pieces on a greased cookie sheet
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Let cool off before serving